What will I learn?

During flight training a student pilot will learn how to effectively maneuver an aircraft during take-off, landing (and everything in between). Pilots will also learn about aerodynamics, weather and how the human body is affected during flight.

What can I do with my Recreational Pilot Certificate?

Once a pilot receives their wings they will be able to fly in command of an aircraft with a maximum takeoff weight of 600kg (or below) within a 25 nautical mile radius of their departure aerodrome. To broaden your horizons or carry a passenger you will need to obtain further endorsements.

What are endorsements?

Without the required endorsements pilots cannot enter controlled airspace, flying with passengers or fly further than 25 nautical miles from the airfield of departure. Endorsements are qualifications that can be received after pilots obtain their certificate, and have passed both the theory and practical tests required for the desired endorsement.

What will I be doing during an average lesson?

Lessons will start off with a briefing, where the instructor will inform the student on what they will be doing on the day. After being briefed and the aircraft inspected, the student and instructor will conduct the airborne segment of the lesson. Once this is completed the instructor will debrief the student, it is here where the instructor informs the student on how they performed during the flight.

What are the age requirements?

To commence flight training a student must be at least 14 years of age and to fly solo they must be 15 years of age or older. There is no upper age limit but you must be fit enough to possess a valid Australian Driver’s Licence.

How long does it take to get my Recreational Pilot Certificate?

Minimum aeronautical experience requirements are set by CASA and RA-Aus for each type of qualification. Earning an RPC is competency based and as such the number of hours required can vary greatly from student to student. The amount can also be affected by a number of factors including weather, frequency of lessons and depth of knowledge. As a guideline, 20-30 hours is a reasonable estimate for most students who fly regularly and this can take around 6 months of training on a part time basis. Keep in mind that regular flying and study can help you achieve your goals sooner.

How much home study is required?

As with any task that requires a specialised set of skills, the greater the achievement the greater the level of knowledge and therefore commitment to self-study that is required. For an RPC the amount of study is not too onerous and only requires a limited amount of time on a regular basis, while for higher qualifications such as a Commercial Pilot Licence the requirements are much greater.

Will I get airsick?

Well we sure hope not..

But these things happen so if you are concerned about it then let us know and we can try to minimise the risk.

Do I need a CASA medical?

No, for an RPC you only need to be fit enough to hold an Australian Driver’s Licence. If you are over 75 years of age then the Driver’s Licence requirement for a medical also apply to a Recreational Pilot Certificate.

Do I need an Aviation Security Identification Card (ASIC) to learn to fly at Jacobs Well?

An ASIC is only required when operating from airports that have Regular Public Transport services. No scheduled airlines operate from Heck Field therefore there is no ASIC requirement.